RESOURCES & EVENTS FOR STAYING ENGAGED
Conferences & Events
Making African America: A Virtual Symposium on Immigration and the Changing Dynamics of Blackness (virtual)
Dates: March 2021 (recordings available)
Caribbean Conversations in Conservation Series, organised by the Caribbean Heritage Network, Carious dates, beginning April 15, 2021
Canadian Museums Association National Conference (virtual)
Dates: May 3, 4, 6, 11, 13, 2021
Theme: Moving Forward / Aller de l’avant
Program to be shared soon
2021 American Alliance of Museums Annual Meeting & Museum Expo (virtual)
Dates: May 24, June 7–9, 2021
Registration is now open!
Theme: Resilient, Together
For the “Schedule at a Glance”, click here.
Caribbean Studies Association Conference (in-person)
Date: May 31–June 4, 2021
Theme: Identity Politics, Industry, Ecology and the Intelligent Economy in Caribbean Societies
Association of African American Museums 2021 Annual Conference (virtual)
Dates: August 4–6, 2021
Black Portraiture[s]: Absent/ed Presence (virtual and in-person)
Dates: October 14–16, 2021
Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
Resources for Finding Conferences and Events
Search for conferences by city, country, or category. Try searching using the Tags like ‘museum’ and ‘virtual museum’!
The International Council of Museums’ Agenda
Search for conferences, webinars, and calls for proposals!
Online Resources and Activities
An assortment of activities compiled by institutions, or webpages to visit to explore historic images and records pertaining to the Caribbean.
- National Art Gallery of the Bahamas, Resources
- Les Fruits de Mer, Resources
- Montgomery Collection of Caribbean Photographs
- W.I. Federal Archives Centre
- The Ultimate Guide to Virtual Museum Resources, E-Learning, and Online Collections by MCN
Online Exhibitions and Virtual Tours
Past and present exhibitions related to the Caribbean region.
- Arte del Mar: Artistic Exchange in the Caribbean, The Met Fifth Avenue (December 16, 2019 – June 27, 2021)
- Various virtual tours, National Gallery of the Cayman Islands
- Infinite Island: Contemporary Caribbean Art, Brooklyn Museum (August 31, 2007 – January 27, 2008)
Reading, Talks, and News
- “On Charles Campbell and the Underrepresentation of Caribbean Art in Canada,” Canadian Art
- Art in the Spotlight at AGO: The Montgomery Collection of Caribbean Photographs, with Julie Crooks & Michele Pearson Clarke, a virtual conversation hosted by the Art Gallery of Ontario
- The Dutch Government Just Promised to Return Any Stolen Colonial-Era Objects in Its Collections Back to Their Countries of Origin, ArtNet News
- Making African America: A Virtual Symposium on Immigraton and the Changing Dynamics of Blackness,
- Past MAC Virtual events